Day 21

Wednesday March 10, 2010

If there ever was a day to eat something sugary, it was today.  I taught a 3rd grade class today with 32 kids!  That's right, 32!  They weren't horrible, but they weren't great.  The regular teacher of that class was unorganized  and did not have the materials I needed for most of what I was doing and had so much down time during the day that I had to make a lot of stuff up as I went along.  Well I made it through the day and after the kids left I spent the next hour reading and preparing/creating for the following day.  I FINALLY left the school a little before 4:30.  I had Kurtis with me and by the time we left it was snowing pretty hard.

We got on the freeway and it was practically white out conditions.  If you don't know what that is, it means that it was snowing so hard you can hardly see in front of you.  I'm slowing down along with everyone else letting off the gas and gently tapping the brakes.  If you've ever driven in snow, you know NOT to slam on the  brakes unless you want to spin out.  A tour bus in the other lane suddenly decides to start moving over into my lane to avoid another car on the shoulder.  So I have to slow down even more, next thing I know we are spinning out of control.  I start turning into the spin and then we start spinning in the complete opposite direction, so I turn the wheel the opposite direction, this continues happening and I can't seem to stop.  All the while Kurtis is freaking out in the back seat.  We finally stop sideways in the lane.  Thank goodness the person behind us stopped in time or we would have been t-boned.  I was able to correct the car just in time to come to a complete stop.

There was an accident and a fire truck was coming up behind me.  I'm in the left lane with really no where to go.  Well some space opens up in the right lane so I start moving over as much as possible.  Then no one else is moving and I start thinking, "These idiots need to move, don't they see the fire truck?!"  Well then I get a knock on my window.  There's a fireman standing there.  It turns out that I'M the idiot that needs to move.

I move the car and I start calling around to friends to let them know if they are in town, not to get on the freeway to come home.  I find out that the accident is not expected to be cleared until 6:30pm and it's only 4:50pm.  So we settle in to wait and I realize that I really have to pee!  There is no way to hop out and go in the bushes.  THERE ARE NO BUSHES!  There are also hundreds of cars that would get an unexpected show.  I considered opening my door and the passenger door and squatting between the doors, but I would still be so exposed and people were getting out of their cars to walk around.  If one of them saw me, that would be unbearable.  Kurtis then announces that he really needs to go.  Thank goodness I found an empty bottle.  He's releaved, but what about me?  With every minute that passes, the urge grows stronger.  Well 6:30 comes and goes and we still aren't moving anywhere.  I'm getting desperate here.  Then I spot my only hope.  The tupperware container that held my chili that I had eaten for lunch that day and half a kleenex.  Needless to say, I felt better and that tupperware was thrown away NEVER to be used again.

We finally start moving again at 7:30pm and we got home at 8pm.  Thank goodness we stayed safe, but I needed something sweet to calm the nerves after dinner.  I resisted ice cream at McDonalds and ate a piece of raw chocolate pudding pie instead.  It was just as satisfying without the "hang over".  Whew!  Crisis over!

Comments

  1. i feel like eating something sweet just reading this! Scary stuff! Glad you're safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Jess! I am so glad you guys are OK. See you soon girl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment