Day 6

Tuesday February 23, 2010

Well I made through the day and I am still alive, which is amazing because I taught 1st grade today.  There's something about teaching first graders that just wears you OUT!  I don't know if it's the constant repeating of directions(because all children have brain damage, and if you don't get that last reference, go listen to Bill Cosby's album "Himself"), or maybe it's the chronic flow of children coming up "sharing" about the injustices that have befallen them.

Today was busy with no unfortunate events; however there was a birthday in the class today and that student's mother brought in cupcakes for the class.  Thankfully she came at the end of the day.  I like the idea of loading em up and then sending them home!  Now these were no ordinary cupcakes, these are the 600 calorie cupcakes that you get from the store.  The rich chocolate cake with a HUGE mound of butter cream frosting topped with sprinkles and a plastic ring to have as a souvenir to wear proudly signifying that you actually finished the whole thing.

Cupcakes were distributed and "Happy Birthday" was sung.  The kids then began to lick, eat, devour, and otherwise play with the fushia frosting.  One boy actually put it all over his mouth and said, "Look I'm wearing lipstick."  Like I said, brain damage.  The birthday girl was so sweet and gave me a cupcake.  I couldn't say no because I didn't want to be rude, thank you mother for instilling such wonderful manners in me.  I did not eat the cupcake right then, because I was still trying to manage this brood and doing so with a hot pink mouth, wouldn't help.

The kids finished their treat and they were dismissed for the day.  When I got back to the classroom, I was still undecided if I would eat the cupcake.  Well I started cleaning up and couldn't find the cupcake.  I thought that maybe one of the kids took it to have an extra one.  Well then I was writing my notes for the day and I looked down on the floor and there it was, frosting side down.  I quickly picked it up because I didn't want the frosting to make a mess.  Then I realized the cupcake had no damage and was intact.  Oh how I wanted to just take a bite!  I know some of you are saying, "Ewwww!  It was on the floor."  But when you want sugar that sometimes may not stop you.  Well I was about to give in when I closed my eyes and said, "No!" and quickly threw it away.  I did it!

I hope that all of my 1 readers out there stay strong if you are doing this with me.  If I can resist so can you!  Until next time. . .  

Comments